The examination Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an All-India Examination scheduled every year by the organisation which consists of Faculty members from IISc, Bangalore and other seven IIT’s. The examination is becoming tougher every year due to the high competition. The score in the examination is a gateway for admissions to Post Graduate Programmes (ME, M.Tech, MS, Direct PhD.) in institutes like IITs and IISc. The examination paper is set separately for all the branches. There is a total of 23 papers. The candidates can choose among the 23 available papers.
The 23 different papers for GATE examination are:
Aerospace Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Architecture and Planning, Biotechnology, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science & Information Technology, Chemistry, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Sciences, Petroleum Engineering, Geology and Geophysics, Instrumentation Engineering, Life Sciences, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Physics, Production and Industrial Engineering, Textile Engineering & Fibre Science and Ecology and Evolution
Eligibility criteria for GATE 2017
The candidates possessing the following criteria can attempt the examination.
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2) and those who are doing the final year of such program.
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture (Post-B.Sc./Post-Diploma) and those who are in the final year of such programs can also apply.
- Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master’s degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology or the final year candidates.
- Candidates in the fourth or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master’s degree programme or Dual Degree programme in Engineering/Technology.
Exam Pattern for GATE 2017
The examination is conducted for a total of 100 marks. The sections involved in the test are General Aptitude, Technical and Engineering Mathematics. There will be a total of 65 questions. The technical questions will be for 70 marks and General Aptitude for 15 marks. Most of the questions will be multiple choice questions. Some of the questions will be the numerical type. There will be negative marking for all the wrong attempts.
The results will be released as soon as the evaluation process of the papers is completed. The updates about the GATE examination will be notified as soon as released by the Board. Visit this page for all the updates.